Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Does anyone get Writer's Digest? I fancy myself a casual reader, since I am, after all a fan of writing. Anyway, each issue has a section called Your Story that functions as a constant prompt-oriented contest and I can't remember what October's prompt was, other than I read it on the submission deadline and was crushed. However, November's prompt didn't catch me. I feel like I need to do something, anything, to get out of this mini writing rut I'm in right now. I want to write creatively, but the thought of working on my newest novel just makes me want to skip right to the end and call it a day. I once heard that writing a book is like running a marathon. You have to forget the pain of the first one before you can do another one. I think my wounds haven't yet healed.

By the way, in just over a month I'm hoping, praying really, I hear from one of these agents about the manuscript. She gave me a deadline of Nov. 27th, and it's already the third week in October. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I would love to get someone hooked into it and willing to work with me.

3 comments:

  1. My screenwriting teacher was talking about getting inspirtation to write in our last class. She said something about reading interesting newspaper articles (like balloon boy, not something boring) and taking that story and turning it into your own. I haven't personally done it, but it seems to make a lot of sense.

    I just read a story in the Pottstown Merc. the other day about a woman in Spring City who drunkenly drove a police car around Spring City before getting arrested. Maybe check local papers for crazy stuff like that and see if you can take it anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I was on the potts merc website last night and saw that but didn't read it. What's balloon boy? Everyone's talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they have creative writing books that have a prompt for every day and you are supposed to write one everyday for a year. its supposed to really help creative writers like yourself. you should look into it!

    ReplyDelete